The Thorlux range of luminaires is designed, manufactured and distributed by Thorlux Lighting, a division of the FW Thorpe Plc group. Thorlux luminaires have been manufactured continuously since 1936, the year Frederick William Thorpe founded the company. The Company now operates from the Group’s modern 16,882 square metre self-contained factory in Redditch, Worcestershire, central England. Thorlux is well known throughout the world and provides a comprehensive range of professional lighting and control systems for architectural, commercial, floodlighting, industrial, hazardous area and tunnel applications.
Routes to the Professions
Y12 students should express interest if they are thinking about a career in Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths or Environmental Studies.
Students who are enrolled will benefit from:
- The opportunity to gain work experience at this major company
- Take part in an engineering challenge or brief for the team to work on to find possible solutions.
- The experience to produce an in-depth report detailing their research, experiments and possible solution to the given problem.
- Continual support and guidance from a Thorlux employee as a mentor
- On hands tasks involving the use of maths, science, technology and problem-solving skills to understand the issues around the brief.
Meet with your personal tutor to discuss your aspirations to get involved as soon as you arrive to us in Y12. They will then ensure your name is put forward to join the IC Gold Project (a STEM based scheme that is timetabled every Wednesday afternoon).